Friday, August 29, 2008

Dear Sloan,

Sloan, you are over 3 months old now. Such a short amount of time, but I really can't remember what life was like without you. I've been bad about updating this blog, but it's just because I don't want to do anything but hang out with you. You have brought so much joy and love to our lives. I had no idea I could feel such love, that my body could hold it all. I just cry sometimes, thinking about how much I love you. I now know what all those people were talking about when I was pregnant with you. It's just indescribable.

Your Aunt Amy has kept a journal about the development and activities of your cousins since they were born. I'm sorry I haven't done that, because I'm afraid I'm already forgetting things. It must be the sleep deprivation. Why don't we start with that, little miss? The first few weeks you were here, you slept all the time. I worried that you weren't eating enough because you would fall asleep while nursing. I had to keep waking you up because that's what the pediatrician said - you had to eat every 2 to 3 hours. Once you reached your birth weight, and I didn't have to wake you up to feed you, you suddenly quit sleeping that much. Your sleep pattern since then has been predictably unpredictable. Completely erratic. One day, you'll take long naps, the next you'll stay awake for 9 hours. I screwed up one time and drank too much caffeine. You couldn't sleep well for days. Your little eyes were so red, but you were just wired and ready to go. I felt so bad, and I haven't had caffeine since then. I've screwed up quite a few times, and I'm sure I will many times as a parent. Have I told you about the time I dropped you on the concrete floors when you were just 7 weeks old? Ask me about it. That is one thing I will never forget.

You've changed so much in these past three months, not just physically, but in your behavior and patterns. You used to only be able to sleep well while swaddled. Then, you always slept with your legs froggied-up and your hands behind your head. Then, all of a sudden, last week you turned over on your stomach while sleeping. You can turn over both ways now. Your dad and I were so excited when we first saw you roll over. I called your Grandmommy, who said, "Oh, yeah, she did that the other night when she was over here." Thanks a lot, Grandmommy, for letting me know about that.

We are so lucky that you've been such a sweet and laid-back baby. I don't think your father and I could have handled a difficult baby. I guess God really does give you what you can handle. Last week, you had your first professional pictures taken. You were so sweet and funny, smiling so much and not crying one bit. That's not to say you never cry. There are times when you cry so hard, and we just can't figure out what's wrong with you. I think that most of the time, you're just overtired. That's something we're working on, making sure you are getting enough sleep. I know I'm starting some bad habits now in my quest to get you to sleep, but I've started taking naps with you in the big recliner, letting you sleep on me. I just love snuggling with you, and these are some of my favorite times, along with taking baths with you.

I hear you crying now in your crib, so I'm going to go put your soothie in your mouth and pat your little back. That usually works. I love you, my little angel-baby.

Love,
Mommy

0 comments: